Richmond Dispensary Opening in Late October
Website will be updated when exact date is known
Prior to scheduling a gLeaf consultation you are required to receive a recommendation from a physician as well as register with the state of Virginia.
Once you have received your recommendation please follow the steps below to register as a patient with the state of Virginia.
Cannabis Oil Registration Applications for Patients, Parents/Legal Guardians
A patient, parent, legal guardian or registered agent may possess cannabis oil as defined in § 54.1-3408.3 of the Code of Virginia once they have been issued a valid written certification from a Board of Pharmacy-registered practitioner. A patient/parent/legal guardian must have a written certification issued to them prior to applying for registration with the Board of Pharmacy and possessing cannabis oil.
Patients, if you have been issued a written certification to possess cannabis oil pursuant to §18.2-250.1, you may submit the online application to obtain your medical cannabis card from the Virginia Board of Pharmacy. To legally possess cannabis oil, an unexpired valid written certification issued from a board-registered practitioner and a current active registration issued by the Board of Pharmacy is required. The online registration application is accessible on the Virginia Department of Health Professions (DHP) Initial Applications site and must be renewed annually.
Parents and legal guardians of patients who are minors or incapacitated adults, if you have been issued a written certification to possess cannabis oil for a minor or incapacitated adult, submit the online applications for both the patient and the parent/guardian in the following order:
- The parent/guardian residing at the same address as the patient should first submit the patient registration application.
- The parent/guardian residing at the same address as the patient should submit the parent/guardian application.
- Any other parent/guardian who has also been issued a written certification and in need of obtaining board registration should submit the parent/guardian application to the board.
Each parent/guardian must obtain their own board registration. The online registration application is accessible on the Virginia Department of Health Professions (DHP) Initial Applications site and must be renewed annually
How to Register
The Department of Health Professions primarily licenses and regulates healthcare practitioners by their profession type. Although you are not seeking a professional license, you may encounter this terminology throughout the registration process. The registration directions below should reduce any confusion and assist you to complete the process accurately.
Step 1: Visit the Virginia Department of Health Professions (DHP) Initial Applications site to begin the registration process.
- If you have another license issued by a board of the Department of Health Professions, enter your User ID and Password.
- You will be required to enter your last name and social security number.
- If you are not already in the licensing system, you will be directed to the “Initial Registration” screen.
- Follow the directions for completing the log in registration. You will enter a User ID and Password that you will need to complete the patient or parent/guardian registration.
- Once you have completed this step, you can now log in.If you do not have another type of license, click the “Register a Person” tab in the upper left corner of the screen.
Step 2: Once you have logged in you should see the Welcome screen. Select Initial Application from the left menu.
Step 3: On the Application for Licensure screen:
- Select Pharmaceutical Processing from the Profession dropdown.
- If you are the patient (individual) applying for registration, select Registered Patient for Cannabis Oil from the License Type dropdown.
- Select Initial Application from the Obtained By dropdown Click the Start Application button
- If you are the parent or legal guardian of the patient who is a minor or incapacitated adult, select Registered Parent/Guardian of Cannabis Oil from the License Type dropdown. Once you have completed this application you must also complete the Registered Patient For Cannabis Oil application for the patient. The primary parent/guardian of the minor or incapacitated adult who resides with the patient must complete this.
- Select Initial Application from the Obtained By dropdown. Click the Start Application button.
Step 4: Complete the registration process and pay the fee: $50 for patients; $25 for parent/legal guardian.
Step 5: Scan and email, fax, or mail the following documentation to the board at the address below for the application to be considered complete:
- A copy of the written certification issued by a registered practitioner;
- Proof of residency of the qualifying patient and proof of residency of a parent or legal guardian, if applicable, such as a government-issued identification card or tax receipt;
- Proof of identity of the qualifying patient and, if the patient is a minor, proof of identity of the parent or legal guardian in the form of a government-issued identification card;
- Proof of the qualifying patient’s age in the form of a birth certification or other government-issued identification.
- A valid Virginia Driver’s License will fulfill the requirements for proof of age, identity, and residency.
Should Board of Pharmacy require any additional information to process the application, you will be notified by email. Please ensure that you enter your email address accurately into the application.
Please allow 7-10 days for Board of Pharmacy to process the registration application. Once issued, the registration card will be mailed to the address of record listed on the application.
If you want to know about Cannabis Oil Registration Applications for Registered Agents and Cannabis Oil Registration Applications for Practitioners in more detail please follow the link